Ashland, Wisconsin, Lake Superior’s Hometown, is a great place to live, no matter what your age. For senior citizens, Ashland offers a variety of lifestyle choices for those in retirement from senior citizen housing, home health care to assisted-living facilities and nursing homes. Families can be assured that their loved ones are taken care of in high-quality facilities.
Study Finds 10 Best Places to Retire in Wisconsin – Ashland is #10! A new study from SmartAsset ranked the 10 best places to retire in Wisconsin. The Study considers four main factors: taxes (both income and sales tax); the number of doctors’ offices; and opportunity for recreation and a social life. Click her to see the 10 Best Places!
Ashland’s location offers abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation, including
• 10-mile paved waterfront trail
• Public Beaches & Picnic Areas ~ Kreher Park, Maslowski Beach, Bayview Beach, Prentice Park, Plaza Park
• “Historic Mural Capital of Wisconsin” featuring 14 life-sized murals depicting Ashland’s rich history
• Access to the Tri-County Corridor, a multi-use trail
• The WhistleStop Marathon & Half-Marathon including the Cruisin’ the Corridor 5k and 10k run/walk www.whistlestopmarathon.com
• Apostle Islands and Madeline Island is a hop, skip and a jump away
• The Bayfield area orchards are open 3 seasons of the year ~ fall, spring, and summer.
• Copper Falls State Park
• Morgan Falls and St. Peter’s Dome
• World-class smallmouth bass fishing
Following are valuable Senior Resources
• Ashland County Aging Unit – 400 Chapple Avenue ~ Suite 100 – 715-682-4414
• Senior Dining Site – 400 Chapple Ave. This program provides individuals age 60 and over, or Native American Elders 55 & older and their spouse of any age regardless of income the opportunity to enjoy a hot, nutritious meal three or more days a week. Reservations are required by calling the site manager: Ashland ~ Mary Westlund 715-682-4414, ext. 0. Suggested donation of $2.50 per meal is requested. 8:00am – 4:30pm Mon.-Fri. Meals served at 11:30a.m.
Fitness / Wellness
• AmericInn – 3009 E. Lakeshore Drive ~ 715-682-9950 Pool, Whirlpool, Sauna, available for a nominal charge. Call ahead of time: 7:00am – 3:00pm Monday – Friday
• Ashland Senior Community Center – 400 Chapple Ave. ~ 715-682-2776 Senior Events are listed under events also.
• Chequamegon Health & Fitness Center – 419 Chapple Ave. ~ 715-682-8590
• 55+ Expo ~ Fourth Wednesday in August. Bay Area Civic Center, 320 4th Ave West., 715-685-5182
• UW- Extension, Ashland County – 201 W. Main St., County Courthouse, Room 107 – Kathy Beeksma ~ 715-682-7017
• Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (W.I.T.C.) – 2100 Beaser Ave. 715-682-4591
• Vaughn Public Library – 502 W. Main Street 715-682-7060
• Ashland Historical Museum – 509 W. Main St. – (715) 682-4911
• Washburn Cultural Center – 1 E Bayfield St., Washburn, WI 54891 (715) 373-5591 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Ashland Arms – 716 4th St. W. ~715-682-8412
• City of Ashland Housing Authority – 319 Chapple Ave. ~ 715-682-7066 Bay Towers, Bay Haven, Bay Ridge & Bay Terrace
• Bay Area Rural Transit ~ 715-682-9664
• Ashland County Aging Unit ~ 715-682-4414
• JET Travel & Tours ~ 715-682-9591
• Alzheimer’s Association– Greater WI Chapter – 400 Chapple Avenue – 715-682-3974
• Alzheimer’s and Dementia Monthly Caregiver Support Groups
Ashland County Support Group ~ Vaughn Library – 502 W. Main Street – Jane LePlavy, 715-682-4571.
Adult Day Care
• Memory Lane Adult Day Services – 623 2nd Ave. E. 715-292-8267
• Lifespan Respite Care Northern Network 514 W. Main Street – Deanna Yost ~ 715-682-7171, ext. 35
• Regional Hospice Services, Inc. – 1913 Beaser Avenue – 715-685-5151
• Grief Support ~ facilitated by Regional Hospice 715-685-5175
• Faith in Action-Ashland County – 400 Chapple Avenue – 715-682-4414, ext. 3
Faith in Action volunteers can provide respite for the primary caregiver for a few hours. The volunteer provides companionship, no medical care is provided with this service.