What’s Happening this Week!2019-08-16
Here is a list of activities that are happening this week in the Chequamegon Bay Area:
- Ashland County Fair, County Fairgrounds, Marengo. Midway rides, races, horse show, truck pull, music, and much more. For more information, call 715-682-3742 or visit www.ashlandcofair.org.
- Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center- Invasive Species Identification Day. 1-4pm @ theater. This event is FREE and open to the public. For more information please call Susan Nelson at 715-685-2644 or Andy Teal at 715-373-6167.
- Copper Falls State Park- Naturalist Program at Copper Falls presents “Discover Loon Lake: Bog Exploration” (paddle) at 2pm. Sign up at the park office by noon, meet at the park office. For more information, call 715-274-5123
- Northland College Summer Programs presents, “Wolf Ecology & Conservation Certification Course” from 6pm Friday-2pm Sunday. For more information visit https://www.northland.edu/academics/community-learning/adult-programs/.
- Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center- Whoo Goes Bump in the Night walk. 7-9pm, Learn about your nocturnal neighbors in the cast of the moon shadow on the boardwalk trail at the Center! Groups will be guided through the trail. Doors will open at 6:45pm. This event is free, family friendly, and open to the public. No registration required. Fore more information, call 715-682-9983.
- Big Top Chautauqua presents “The Marshall Tucker Band,” at the tent, 32525 Ski Hill Rd., Bayfield, at 7:30pm. For more information, call 715-373-5552, or visit www.bigtop.org.
- Butternut Community Fair, and cancer awareness event at the Butternut Park, Hwy 13. Crafts, garden entries, baskets, meals, prizes, games, food and fun for the whole family! For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715-769-3550. www.butternutwi.com.
- Northland College Summer Programs presents, “Wolf Ecology & Conservation Certification Weekend” www.northland.edu/academics/community-learning/adult-programs/.
- Ashland Area Farmer’s Market 8am-12noon in the parking lot between Burger Barn and City Hall, 600 West Main Street.
- Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center- Snap Shot Day. 8:30am-1pm @ Multipurpose Room. Come join the fun as part of a statewide event! On Aquatic Invasive Species Snapshot day, we will teach you how to identify several aquatic invasive species. Then we will go out into the field and have some fun sampling at local boat landings and streams. Contact email@example.com for more information. Register at https://www.wisconsinrivers.org/snapshot-day/
- Big Bay State Park’s Annual Sandcastle Day, on Madeline Island. Registration is at 9am. Judging will be at noon. Prizes awarded. For more information, call 715-747-6425.
- Free Bike Maintenance Class “Shifting” at 10am at Bay City Cycles, 412 W Main St. RSVP by 5pm on Friday on Entribute as seating may be limited. Sponsored by Bay City Cycles and North Coast Cycling Association. For more information, call 715-682-2091.
- Back to School Giveaway!! At Thrivent Financial, 623 Main St E in Ashland, from 10am-12pm. Rain location: Bretting Center, 400 4th Ave W. Giving away backpacks, school supplies, and gym shoes. First come, first served (while supplies last). Children must be present to receive items. Hosted by Superior Shores Team- Thrivent Financial and the Sole Purpose. For more information, call 715-685-0605.
- Copper Falls State Park- Naturalist Programs at Copper Falls presents “Discover Loon Lake: Loon Ecology” (for kids) at 1pm. Meet at the beach with your own chair or blanket. For more information, call 715-274-5123.
- Chequamegon Archery Club Fall Festival, 3501 McDonald Rd., Ashland. Raffle games from 3-7pm, drawings start at 7pm. https://cacashland.weebly.com/ For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook message @ Chequamegon Archery Club.
- ABC Raceway Races: Summer Blast- Northern WI Fence & Outlaw Wraps & Apparel. Raceway located at 2187 Butterworth Road. Hot Laps- 6:15pm. Racing- 7pm. Grandstand opens at 5pm. For more information, go to www.abcraceway.com.
- Big Top Chautauqua presents “Brian Setzer’s Rockabilly Riot,” at the tent, 32525 Ski Hill Rd., Bayfield, at 7:30pm. For more information, call 715-373-5552, or visit www.bigtop.org.
- Anishinaabe Culture Days at the Madeline Island Museum. With Ojibwe artists, musicians, and living history reenactors, this event will feature Ojibwe music, art, demonstrations, and exhibits. For more information call 715-747-2415 or email email@example.com.
- Herbster Studio Art Tour from 10am-4pm. The 2019 Art Tour is a very special chance to see both nationally and regionally acclaimed weaver, painters, woodcarvers, quilters, jewelers, printmakers, ceramic artists, and fiber artists. Artists will open their galleries and home studios, showcasing a wide diversity of artistic talent. For more information visit http://herbsterstudioarttour.com/
- Chequamegon Food Co-op Presents: Farm Tours – South Route at 9am-3pm. Register by Wednesday, August 16. Caravan meets at the Co-op at 9am. Free, but reserve your spot! Tour- Curious where your food comes from? This is the chance you’ve been waiting for! Join us for this fantastic day of fun getting to know your farmers and taking behind the scenes tours. Specific farms and schedule TBA. www.chequamegonfoodcoop.com. 715-682-8251.
- Dairy Day on the Farm at Tetzners Dairy, Washburn, 11am-2pm. The event is free and open to all that would enjoy learning more about the dairy industry. Cookout style lunch, Little Farm Hands a hands on learn station, kids bags, ice cream, root beer floats, and a robot milking the cows! All milk and ice cream served is collected and processed at this dairy! It will be a fantastic food and learning day! Questions contact Peter at 715-682-0176
- Glidden’s Annual Brat Feed at “The Junction” in Clam Lake. For more information visit www.gliddenwi.org.
- Ashland County Fair Idol, 1-6pm, at the Ashland County Fair Grounds. Ages 11-18 and 18 & older. Cash Prizes and Gift Bags. To sign up contact Denise Rude 715-682-2774.
- Rookery Pub, 20100 County Highway M, Cable, will be hosting “David Blong Trio,” from 2-5pm. For more information, call 715-794-2062 or visit www.rookerypub.com.
- Big Top Chautauqua presents “Phillips Phillips,” at the tent, 32525 Ski Hill Rd., Bayfield, at 7:30pm. For more information, call 715-373-5552, or visit www.bigtop.org.
- Casual Group Ride at 6pm June- October. Meet at Bay City Cycles, 412 W Main St. Bike needed, rentals are available at Bay City Cycles (please arrive early to do so). Helmets required. Sponsored by Bay City Cycles. Weekly updates on the Casual Group Ride Facebook group. For more information, call 715-682-2091 or visit www.baycitycycles.com
- Madeline Island Museum, 226 Colonel Woods Ave, La Pointe, WI. Oral History Workshop with Fawn Youngbear-Tibbets and Students from Tribal Youth Media, 12-4pm. Learn about the importance of gathering Oral Histories and how to do that in a contemporary manner. Free and Open to the Public! Pre-registration requested: 715-747-2415 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Let’s Be Crafty at the Bretting Community Center! Starts at 5pm. Ages 8 and up. Cost: $5 per drop in. $25 for all advanced sign up. August 20th is Squirt Gun Painting. For more information, call 715-682-7059.
- Ashland Science on Tap hosts Julia Nepper Ph.D. Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin – Madison. She will be discussing “Unraveling Biofilm Formation From the Outside In”,” at 6:30pm at the Deep Water Grille-South Shore Brewery, 808 W. Main St. This talk is presented in partnership with UW-Madison Badger Talks Hub. For more information, call 715-682-4200 or visit www.ashlandscience.org.
- OLL Bingo! Doors open at 5:30pm. Bingo starts at 7pm. Prizes, Raffles and Big fun! Progressive Blackout!! For more information, call 715-682-7620.
- Bayfield Concerts by the Lake presents David Blong, Memorial Park, 15 Front Street, Bayfield, WI 54814, at 7pm, weather permitting. If it rains, it will relocate to the Madeline Island Ferry Terminal on Washington Avenue, Bayfield. These concerts are free and open to the public. Bring your own lawn chair or blankets. For more information, call 715-779-3335, or visit www.bayfield.org.
- 55+ Health Expo, at the Bay Area Civic Center, 320 W. 4th Ave., from 9am-2pm. For more information, call 715-685-5181.
- Ashland Parks and Rec presents, “Rec and Read” at Kreher Park from 9:30-11am. Explore Ashland’s playgrounds, check out books, listen to a story, and play games. open to children of all ages for free! Rain Location: Bretting Community Center Gym. Parents must chaperone. For more information, call 715-682-7059.
- Madeline Island Museum Lecture: Dr. Tom Fitz, Professor of Geosciences at Northland College: Facing the Challenges of Mining, Resource Supply and Environmental Stewardship in a Changing World at 7pm. Learn about possible solutions to demand for resources versus the need for environmental stewardship at the local and global scale. This program is made possible by the generous support of Madeline Island Wilderness Preserve and the Apostle Islands Area Community Fund. Free and open to the public! Contact the museum for more information. 715-747-2415 www.wisconsinhistory.org/calendar/
- Vaughn Public Library- Teen Writing Club from 4:30-6:30 pm. For more information, call 715-682-7060.
- The Annual Ashland County Cleansweep- Household Hazardous Waste Collection. From 3-7pm at WITC-Ashland Campus (south parking lot). The Extension Ashland County Community Development Educator, Lissa Radke, will be partnering with Northwest Regional Planning Commission to put on this event. For more information, call 715-682-7017 or visit https://ashland.extension.wisc.edu/2019/06/03/hazardous-waste-collection/
- Bayfield Summer Music presents, “Composer’s Chorale” at 5:30pm at the Holy Family Catholic Church, 232 N First St, Bayfield. From Bayfield and Minneapolis, composer and organist Arthur Maud will present his music sung by a group of vocalist from the Twin Cities. Suggested donation: $12. For more information, visit www.bayfieldsummermusic.org or call Karen Trudeau at 715-742-3336.
- Cornucopia Summer Concert Series presents live music by, “The White Caps” from 6-9pm. Outside the Cornucopia Sweet Shop. Bring Grandma and the kids and enjoy a summer evening on the grass listening to sweet tunes by local artists. Picnics are welcome! Free family fun! For more information, visit www.cornucopiawisconsin.net.
- Big Top Chautauqua presents “Back to the Garden: The Music of Woodstock,” at the tent, 32525 Ski Hill Rd., Bayfield, at 7:30pm. For more information, call 715-373-5552, or visit www.bigtop.org.
- Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center- Bay Area Film Society presents “Biggest Little Farm”, 7:30pm. For more information, call 715-685-9983.
- Bad River Lodge & Casino- Falls Lounge Presents: Dave Bebeau. Show starts at 8pm. For more information, call 715-682-7121.
- Gun and Knife Show at the Bay Area Civic Center, 320 4th Ave. W. August 23 from 3-8pm and August 24 from 9am-4pm. Guns on display and for sale. For more information, call Ray at 715-292-8415.
- Odanah Manomin Celebration & Pow Wow at the Pow Wow Grounds. Manomin or, wild rice, is an integral part of Ojibwe history and the Bad River Tribe celebrates the growth and harvest of this natural staple with traditional dancing, singing, canoe races, marathons, and plenty of food. For more information, call 715-682-7111.
- Ashland Area Farmer’s Market 8am-12noon in the parking lot between Burger Barn and City Hall, 600 West Main Street.
- Chequamegon Archery Club 30 Target 3-D Shoot, Registration 8am-4pm, 3501 McDonald Rd., Ashland. https://cacashland.weebly.com/calendar.html
- Music in the Park at Copper Falls State Park in Mellen. For more information, call 715-274-5123.
- Back to School Bash Saturday at 12-2pm. Free! But first come, first served. Party– Get ready to go back to school with this activity for the whole family! Check out samples of lunchbox friendly foods (and get the recipes). Free Co-op reusable lunch bags for first 100 kids! www.chequamegonfoodcoop.com. 715-682-8251.
- Youth Hike sponsored by the National Country Trail Association. 1-4pm. Meet hike leader, Cheryl Trieschmann, at the Lake Three Campground parking area on Mineral Lake Road, (FR 187) where participants will hike east in search of plants, animals, bugs, and birds. You never know what you may find during a walk in the woods! Cheryl plans on making this in and out hike a fun learning adventure. Appropriate for teens and pre-teens. Parents and interested adults are also welcome. For more information contact Kevin Schram, President, at 715-765-4789 or email email@example.com.
- Legendary Waters Resort and Casino presents, “Legendary Cribbage Tournament”. Registration starts at 3pm. Play begins at 5pm. For more information, call 800-226-8478 or visit www.legendarywaters.com.
- ABC Raceway Races: Championship Night- presented by Mountain Dew & WIMI-FM. Raceway located at 2187 Butterworth Road. Regular season races on Saturday night. Hot Laps- 6:15pm. Racing- 7pm. Grandstand opens at 5pm. For more information, go to www.abcraceway.com.
- Big Top Chautauqua presents “David Crosby and Friends,” at the tent, 32525 Ski Hill Rd., Bayfield, at 7:30pm. For more information, call 715-373-5552, or visit www.bigtop.org.
- Bad River Lodge & Casino Presents- “Groove Inc.” a high energy variety band with 5 amazing versatile musicians- Free Admission, doors open at 8pm, music starts at 9pm. For more information, call 715-682-7121.
- Madeline Island Museum, Artist Residency: Denise Lajimodiere (Turtle Mountain), award-winning poet and birch bark biting artist Denise Lajimodiere demonstrates The Art of Birch Bark Biting or mazinibakajige (“marks upon the bark”) at 10am–5pm daily. Museum entry fees apply. Contact the museum for more information. 715-747-2415 www.wisconsinhistory.org/calendar/
- Lost Creek Adventures, 22475 Hwy. 13, Cornucopia, presents ACA Level 3 Kayak Instructor Update & Rolling Endorsement Course. For more information, call 715-953-2223 or visit www.lostcreekadventures.org.
- Rookery Pub, 20100 County Highway M, Cable, will be hosting “Matthew Griswold,” from 2-5pm. For more information, call 715-794-2062 or visit www.rookerypub.com.
- Big Top Chautauqua presents “Lost Nation String Band Tribute,” at the tent, 32525 Ski Hill Rd., Bayfield, at 7:30pm. For more information, call 715-373-5552, or visit www.bigtop.org.
- WITC- Ashland classes start. For more information, call 715-682-4591.
- Mellen Rock Climbing, Gilman Park & Loon Lake Swimming from 11am-3pm for youth in grades 2nd-6th organized by Extension Ashland County along with our 4-H Teen Ambassadors & Volunteers. Registration required, call 715-682-7017. https://ashland.extension.wisc.edu/2019/05/16/elementary-adventure-days/
- Activity Time presented by Ashland Parks and Recs, in the Central Railyard Concessions Building, behind the Bretting Community Center. ‘Silly Scientists’ Tuesdays at 10:30-11:15 am, ages 3-6 years. Cost per class-$20. For more information call, 715-682-7059.
Now – 29:
« Back to event list
- Activity Time presented by Ashland Parks and Recs, in the Central Railyard Concessions Building, behind the Bretting Community Center. ‘Get Messy Munchkins’ Thursdays at 10:30-11:15 am, ages 3-6 years. Cost per class-$20. For more information call, 715-682-7059