Come and have some fun with us!
Book Across the Bay is the upper Midwest’s most unique winter event, open to skiers and snowshoers of all ages and ability levels. The 10-kilometer course, which is groomed for both classic-style and skate skiing, starts in Ashland and ends in Washburn, and follows a route not on land, but over the frozen surface of Lake Superior, the world’s largest freshwater lake. The event is held at night, and the course is lit by the stars above and up to 1,000 candles in ice luminaries that line the entire route.
For more information go to www.batb.org
- Pre-race Polka Party on the Ashland Side at Maslowski Beach 6-10pm. Everyone is welcome and it’s FREE!
- Race-day Check-in, Bib Pick-up, and Registration:
Race-day check-in, Bib pick-up and race-day registration will be held from 11am to 5pm on race day, February 17th, at Thompson’s West End Park, 401 South 8th Ave. West, in Washburn (finish line for the race).
- Register your kiddos for the Kids’ Book It Fun Race on Lake Superior, Saturday morning before Book Across the Bay. Book It is a FREE, fun, race for children 12 and under. Registration and Bib pick up for Book It will be at Solstice Outdoors starting at 10am. The race starts at 11am for 8-12 year olds and 11:30am for 8 and under. All participant will receive a commemorative medal, hot chocolate, and cookies! Questions please call 715.682.3590.
- Shuttle Buses:
Shuttle will be running from 1-5pm, from Thompson’s West End Park, 401 South 8th Ave. West, in Washburn (finish line) to the start area at Maslowski Beach in Ashland. There will be a big heated tent set up at the start area with events and activities going on there all afternoon. We urge you to park in Washburn and take a shuttle to the start. There will be little to no parking available at Maslowski Beach.
- Race Day pre-race activities on the Ashland side in the tent at Maslowski beach.
- Food and beverages
- Ski waxing
- Displays by a variety of community organizations
- Post-race Party:
The Post-Race party will be held at the tent at Thompson’s West End Park, 401 South 8th Ave. West, in Washburn and will get underway around 7pm with “Fido and the Love Dogs”. Admission is FREE for particiapants, however a suggested donation at the door for non-racers of $5. At the post race party: chili, hot dogs, beer by South Shore Brewery, and our “Book Store” will be open for BATB merchandise!
Other Activities happening in the Chequamegon Bay Book Across the Bay Weekend.
- Live Music with “Barefoot Wonder” at Freehands Lakeside, 2521 West Lake Shore Dr., from 6-9pm. For more information call 715-685-2583.
- FREE Fat Bike Demo from 10am-2pm at Maslowksi Beach, Ashland. Will be by the big white Book Across the Bay Tent. Learn why fat-bikes are the fastest growing trend in bicycling and in winter sports. With tires that look inspired by monster trucks,fat-bikes float over terrain and make you feel like a big kid. Local bikers will teach you the basics of the bike, gear, and riding technique showing you a new side of winter. For more information call 715-682-7059.
- Bay City Sledding Days! Bohemian Hall, 319 11th Ave E, Ashland, open as a warming house for sledding from 10am-3pm. For more information call 715-682-7059.
- The Glidden SnoBears Annual Toilet Seat Races held at Roxy’s, 201 Grant Street, Glidden. Sign-up at 11, races start at 12noon. Soup Chili Cook-off at 1pm. Meat & Bucket Raffle to benefit the club. For rules and regulations or more information, contact Bob at 608-852-7436.
- Bar Stool Races in Drummond on Brian Miller Hill behind the Black Bear Inn on Hwy. 63, Drummond. Registration is at 11am, race starts at 12pm. For more information, call 715-739-6313 or visit www.drummondwi.com.
- Freehands Lakeside Pre-pampering. Upstairs in the Bodin and Equadon room, we will have vendors from 12-3 set up to help you get ready for the 2018 Book Across the Bay, 22nd Edition race! Featuring: Arbonne with Lindsey Pray offering choice of mini foot or hand spa and a guided Arbonne facial with vegan certified gluten-free products and Inland Sea Massage with Sarah Garner offering a 25 minute massage for $15 with hot eucalyptus towels for your back and feet.
Downstairs in the café, we will have healthy smoothies available ($1 off if you are doing the book) great coffee drinks, homemade chili and all beef hotdogs set up outside ! Regular lunch menu inside. And as always, our food is NEVER from Sysco and always farm-to-table food fresh! Call now to reserve your timeslot. 715-563-0323 walk-ins are welcome but time is limited!
- Live Music at Stagecoach Bar and Grill, 315 East Main Street, with “Bottoms Up” playing from 9pm-1am. For more information call 715-292-6710.
- Bike Across the Bay at 10am, hosted by North Coast Cycling Association. The race will start from the Washburn Shore. Registration will be from 8:30-9:30am at the Harbor View Event Center (the former Steak Pit), 125 Harbor View Dr, Washburn. For more information, call 715-373-2114 or visit northcoastcycling.com.
Things to do anytime during the weekend:
« Back to event list