Built in July 1900 by the Baldwin Locomotive Company of Philadelphia, Pa., and weighing 190,000 pounds, the 950 was the largest steam locomotive in the world at that time and it is the only decapod (10-wheel drive) engine ever built.
Originally numbered 600 by the Soo Line, it became the only decapod in the Soo Line roster and was put in service between Minneapolis, Minn., and Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. It was sent to work the ore docks in Superior, Wis., in 1912 and was renumbered 950. It worked the docks until ore operations ceased there in 1929. It was then transferred to Minneapolis/St. Paul yard duties until 1942 when it came to Ashland to work the ore docks here.
When steam operations were concluded in 1954, the engine was retired, and, in 1956, the 950 was donated to the City of Ashland. It was dedicated at a park located at Stuntz Avenue and US Hwy. 2 on July 4, 1957. The 950 was moved to its present location in 1987 at the time of the Soo Line Depot restoration project.« Back to list