Ore Dock

Share

Construction of the Ore Dock began in 1916. Originally it was 900 feet long. In 1925 an addition was completed bringing the dock to its present length of 1800 feet. It is 80 feet high, 59 feet wide and the largest concrete structure of its kind. Iron-ore mined in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan was shipped from this dock. The shipping ended in the mid 1960s. At one time there were five such docks in Ashland.

Webcam of Ore Dock Demolition.

« Back to list