Winter Activities in Ashland
Discover the winter charm of Wisconsin’s northwoods with a visit to Ashland and the Chequamegon Bay area when ice and snow transform the vast wooded terrain into a pristine landscape of quiet beauty, where only we can turn the frosty temperatures into fun!
- Snowshoe about: Meander through Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center’s trails, or any of the other local trails. You can even enjoy a candlelight hike that features ice luminaries for 1.5 miles at Copper Falls State Park or partake in a free guided snowshoe stomp in Prentice Park.
- Spin your track: Ashland County’s more than 200 miles of well-kept trails are a snowmobiler’s paradise. Many area hotels and motels offer easy access to the trail system, some even allowing visitors to snowmobile right from their door onto major trails.
- Fish our frozen lake: If you have a Wisconsin Fishing License – and enough layers to live up to the winter weather – you can angle for an array of fish, from white fish and browns to perch and walleye. Fishing is always a thrilling adventure in the Ashland area!
- Ski our neighboring hill: With 12 runs spanning over 65 acres of skiable alpine area, and over 40km of skate & classic cross-country trails, Mt. Ashwabay is just the place to be to cut through the fresh fallen snow with your runaway skis. Not the downhill type of guy? There are multiple trails around the county for cross country skiers to wander about.
- Trade in your tires: You’ll see cyclists riding fat-tire bikes throughout the area-and on the lake walk, too. The knobby, 3.8-5 inch tires allow for more stability and a comfortable and thrilling experience. With the number of riders growing every season in Chequamegon Bay, our local shop, Bay City Cycles now offers fat-tire bike rentals for anyone willing to go for a spin.
- Go by sleigh: Gallop along the snowy countryside in a horse drawn sleigh and enjoy acres of breathtaking beautiful wooded nature. Bring some mittens and a blanket and ring on over to Second Wind Country Inn to book your ride today!
Check out our Historic Main Street! As you browse our many independent gift, clothing, sporting and specialty shops, you’ll find everything from local delicacies and gourmet delights, to outdoor gear, vintage clothing and fine art. Be sure to stop at one of our locally-owned eateries for home-cooked specialties or sip an award-winning craft-brewed beer with your meal. We also host a diverse district of lodging, from Mom and Pop’s to chain to full service accommodations. Find yourself next to the water in Ashland, WI today.
Two exciting ways Ashland, WI is being promoted for Winter Activities.
« Back to event list